Deadline To Register To Vote Draws Closer
With the next local election on May 4th, Amber Valley Borough Council are urging those wishing to vote to register before their deadline of the 13th of April.
The election being held in Amber Valley is the Derbyshire County Council election and it will take place on Thursday 4th May 2017. You can read more about it on the Derbyshire County Council website.
Residents that have not registered to vote or who need their details updating are being advised to do so before the deadline. The quickest and easiest way to register to vote is online here.
Any new registrations must reach AVBC before 5pm on Thursday 13 April 2017
Any new postal applications must reach AVBC before 5pm on Tuesday 18 April 2017
Amber Valley Borough Council is the largest district council in Derbyshire. The Borough Council has 45 councillors representing 23 wards. The Council is the only one in Derbyshire which has a third of the Council being elected each year, and on the fourth year County Council elections are held. Parish Councils are elected for a term of four years and are returned at elections for the whole council.
Who is eligible to vote?
To vote in a local council election a person must be registered to vote, 18 years or over on polling day in England and Wales or 16 years or over on polling day in Scotland, and also be one of the following:
- a British citizen, a qualifying Commonwealth citizen, or a citizen of the European Union
- resident in the UK
- not be subject to any legal incapacity to vote
The following cannot vote in a local council election:
- anyone other than British, qualifying Commonwealth or European Union citizens
- convicted persons detained in pursuance of their sentences, excluding contempt of court (though remand prisoners, unconvicted prisoners and civil prisoners can vote if they are on the electoral register)
- anyone found guilty within the previous five years of corrupt or illegal practices in connection with an election
Standing as a candidate
If you intend to stand as a Candidate, nomination papers will be available from The Election Department, at the Council Offices, Market Place, Ripley, DE5 3BT, from 1st March 2017. Alternatively you can go to the Electoral Commission Website and download them.
Please note Nomination Papers will not be accepted by Amber Valley Borough Council until Tuesday 28 March 2017, after publication of the Notice of Election.
A Candidates Briefing for Potential Candidates took place on Tuesday 14 March at 6pm. You can view the Briefing Notes here.
GDPR, Your Data and Us: https://nailed.community/gdpr-your-data-and-us/