Golf Club Fined After Employee is Seriously Burned

Chevin Golf Club in Duffield has been fined £13,460, after an accident with a deep fat fryer resulted in an employee sustaining serious burns.

Appearing before Derby Magistrates on Thursday 13th December, the golf club entered a guilty plea to a breach of Section 2 of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, and was ordered to pay a total of £13,460.00 made up of a fine of £6,000, costs of £7,330 and a victim surcharge of £170.00.

The prosecution, brought by Amber Valley Borough Council, came following an accident involving one of the club’s catering employees who was injured whilst cleaning out the premises’ deep fat fryer. The employee sustained burns to both their left and right calf, the top of their right thigh, waist, back and upper torso, which required a skin graft.

Commenting on the case, Amber Valley Borough Councillor, Paul Hillier, portfolio holder for housing and wellbeing, stated: “Deep fat fryers are used in many catering premises and are potentially very dangerous. Employers must have in place a suitable and sufficient risk assessment for their safe use and their cleaning. They must also ensure staff are properly trained in the safe procedures for emptying and cleaning them and be aware of the reasons why protective equipment should be worn.

“Our officers will continue to ensure this requirement is being carried out during their routine inspections.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

GDPR, Your Data and Us: http://nailed.community/gdpr-your-data-and-us/

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.