Exponents of World Music, Against the Grain actually hail from Derbyshire and Bucks.
Guitarist Matt Sullivan and percussionist Jo May perform everything from jazz tunes to original material with roots in West African, South American and Spanish traditions. Playing a variety of instruments including balafon, cajon, flamenco guitar and of course spoons, they lend a new meaning to the concept of folk roots, new routes.
Veterans of the festival circuit, including main stage appearances at Towersey and Sidmouth, their stage performance is polished and dynamic. Just the thing to bring a breath of tropical air and perhaps a little sunshine to a dark autumn evening.
Tickets are £6 and are available at the venue or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Doors at 8:00 pm
- Nov 3rd. Carol (Slice of Life}Hodge and Simon Wells (Snuff) +Addictive Philosophy, Chris Butler and Sophie Sparham. (£6)
- Nov 11th Amnesty International Benefit featuring Sweet Liquorice.
- Nov 24th. Sunjay + Robyn Johnson £8
- Dec 9th. Sunflower Thieves, Joseph Knight, Laurie Illingworth ptbc
- January 27th. Headsticks + support.
- February 17th. Bob Cheevers + support.
By Mike Jones