Strutts North Mill Museum is seeking artwork submissions for their new community art exhibition ‘One In A MILLion.’
The inclusive competition is free to enter and does not have an age restriction. The work will be displayed from October 14 to November 26 (11am – 4pm October: Wednesday/ Sunday & November: Saturday – Sunday). The Opening night will be on Friday, October 13 from 6pm – 8pm.
Strutts North Mill Museum is a unique and historically significant grade 1 listed building which highlights the fascinating story of how the Strutt family developed the factory working system.
Last year Belper North Mill Trust, which runs Strutt’s North Mill Museum, was successful in winning 2 awards at the Derbyshire Heritage Awards.
If you would like to enter the competition the submission requirements are:
- A piece of artwork that is inspired by the Mill/Museum in some way (building, location, history, legacy etc.) …artistic license/thinking outside of the box is definitely encouraged!
- A printed piece of paper accompanying the work that explains its’ connection to the Mill
- One A4 size (29.7cm x 21cm) piece per person
- 2D and in any medium (this also includes a quality photograph of a 3D sculptural piece made)
- Must be a completed piece of work in its’ own non-glass frame (gold preferably but if not possible, note that all frames will be spray painted gold for a sense of cohesion)
- Must have a way of connecting thread to the frame e.g. a mount or hook
- Name, age & email address to be clearly labelled in print on the back
- Each piece to be submitted marked ‘one in a MILLion’ in a sealed envelope or bubble-wrapped to:- Strutt’s North Mill Museum, Derwent Valley Visitor’s Centre, Bridgefoot, Belper, Derbyshire, DE56 1YD
The vision of hanging all the work is at the Craft Coordinator’s discretion and may be non-standard e.g. at different angles and/or secured to a plinth or suspended.
The Museum will not be held responsible for damage of any work through natural causes e.g. damp/flooding.
For further details please contact Ola Wilson on email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Featured Photo: Cotton covered globe by Ola Wilson 2003