On a pleasant, occasionally sunny day Heage windmill, entertained a huge collection of 39 tractors with a wide variety of makes represented on Sunday 30th April.
They were supported by a restored 1920’s steam traction engine which itself was backed up by two (3″ to a foot) working scale models of steam tractors – both of which were giving rides to children – old and young.
A surprise visitor was a wartime restored 1942 25lb Howitzer Gun, towed by a 1943 Morris C8; there was also about a dozen portable steam engines on site, all in working order. These, together with tractors, helped to replace horses on farms over the last 100 years.
The Garratt Traction Engine, owned by David Bosworth from Smalley, was built in 1920, and he has owned it since 1991. She is called ‘Queen Mary,’ as named when built, and was first used for moving goods, mainly timber, along public roads. Powered by coal and water, she would travel up to 15 miles before she needed more water, even though she could hold up to 250 gallons.
A large number of visitors explored the site and enjoyed the veteran machines, many of which took full mill tours where the guides explained the history of the mill and how it worked.
Featured Image: Two Fordson tractors by the mill