Love Food Hate Waste is a campaign that aims to raise awareness of the need to reduce food waste and help us take action. It shows that by doing some easy practical everyday things in the home we can all waste less food, which will ultimately benefit our purses and the environment too.
Any recipes they feature from commercial organisations or chefs have not been paid for, but have been kindly donated by the recipe author. If you’re interested in donating recipes to LFHW please contact WRAP – they’d love to hear from you.
Their website: http://www.lovefoodhatewaste.com/ currently features an Advent calendar with 24 great money saving tips as well as some great ideas for using up leftover turkey. Here’s an example:
Cranberry Turkey Pasties
Make the most of leftovers from a Christmas meal by combining cooked turkey, cranberry sauce and stuffing in these festive pasties. They can also be frozen before cooking so any you don’t need won’t be wasted.
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 20-25 minutes
- 500g pack shortcrust pastry
- 200g (7 oz) leftover roast turkey, diced
- 2 tbsp cranberry sauce
- 6 leftover stuffing balls, roughly chopped (140g)
- 50g low fat soft cheese
- 75g (3 oz) frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200oC, gas mark 6.
- Roll out the pastry and cut 6 x 17cm (7’’) circles.
- Mix together the turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing, soft cheese and peas and divide between the pastry circles. Brush the pastry edges with egg. Bring the edges up and press to seal well to form a pasty shape.
- Place the pasties on a baking tray, sealed edges facing up and brush with the egg. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden.
Try using puff pastry as an alternative.
Use up leftover roast turkey or chicken, cooked stuffing and cranberry sauce.
Try using fruit chutney instead of cranberry sauce.
Add chopped chives for extra flavour.
Assemble and freeze before cooking. Thaw in the fridge or cool place before reheating.
Vegan and vegetarian options
Not suitable for vegans. Replace the turkey with vegetables for vegetarian option.
Contains dairy, wheat and gluten.
|Nutrient||Per serving /pasty||Per 100g|
|Of which saturated fat||5.6||4.6|
|Of which sugar||3.7||3.1|
This material has been reproduced from the website www.wrap.org.uk of The Waste and Resources Action Programme.